Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Meet Phil

After over forty years of living in what I consider to be the best city in the world, it's fair to say I've come to know it like the back of my hand.

I've come to be known amongst my friends and acquaintances as the 'go-to' person for where to find whatever it is you're looking for - services, restaurants, unique boutiques and product sources.

This blog is my way of sharing the best the city has to offer. My focus will be on independently owned businesses with fantastic customer service.

I'd love to hear your feedback if you've had personal experiences with any of the venues discussed, and hear from you if you have a business that you feel deserves a mention!





This photo shows one of my favourite spots in the city - backing onto the iconic Flatiron building, the fountain has been used in many commercials and as a bathing site for many of the homeless in the downtown core :)

Occasionally, somebody with a sense of humour throws dish detergent into the fountain sending clouds of foamy bubbles down Front Street.

This neighbourhood is about to see a considerable amount of change, what with the new L Tower Condo project by Castlepoint Developments and the just started launch for Berczy Park Condos by Concert Properties- this will be an area to live, work and play.

Home to some very unique shops such as the best Christmas store in the city - The Christmas Market owned by Ted Genova, this business has been going strong for more than 30 years! His store imports some truly unique christmas and seasonal gifts, definitely worth the trip downtown just to see what he has in stock.

Some other notables in the neighbourhood - Nicholas Hoare bookstore, The Sultan's Tent and Le Papillon (restaurants), and of course Saturdays at the St Lawrence Market, on Sunday the Antique Market in St Lawrence North Market full to the brim with Treasures, Trash and collectables.

If the area is unfamiliar take a stroll down here on any Saturday or Sunday in the summer the outdoor patios, and busy street life make this a very unique spot in Toronto.

7 comments:

  1. Another great idea Phil! For a woman who has been out of the Toronto loop for so many yeas, I am going to really appreciate this information.

    ...and as an aside, I think the title 'Share Toronto' might fit somewhere in what you're doing.

    oo
    Max

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic - can't wait to see what treasures you reveal to us!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should make Man about Town banner in a newspaper print and have it imposed against a silhouette of the Toronto skyline.

    - Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent idea Phil, this Blog will fill a much needed portal for information about town :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Philip. Now that I'm north of 7 in lovely Lindsay it's a wonderful opportunity to stay connected to the city.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to keep checking you out.

    I've live in Toronto my entire life but I've never felt that I know it completely.

    I am excited to see what your treasure chest has in store!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Need more updates Phil
    Great review of Terrazza

    ReplyDelete